Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied

Status
Not open for further replies.

rphips

IS-IT--Management
Sep 12, 2003
US
Hello,
Haven't been on this site for a while - So how is everybody doing?

Anyway here is the problem - I have a user that sits on 1 side of a site-to-site VPN and are giving a 192.168.7.3 IP address for their local subnet - they are trying to access folders located on a domain controller (2003 Standard server) on this side of the VPN with 192.168.1.24 IP address.
They have alll rights assigned and can access the server yet when they try to map a drive it ask for a user name and password to connect. If you type in thier username and password it refuses thier connection. If I try to use the admin account I get "drive already exist" I'am at a loss on this one. They could connect up to thier folders when they where on a differnt server but not this one.

Anyway Thanks for you help

bob

Is this machine joined to the domain? If not then that would be the reason. It can be done the other way but may be difficult.

Thanks for the reply

yes they are joinedd to the domain

bob

Does this happen to only 1 User from his/her location? Any other Users that does site to site VPN from this User's location? Have you tried to re-configure her VPN access from her computer?
Also, another test that you do if you have not done yet is to create a new folder and grant this User full permission to this folder, then see if you can duplicate the issue or if the issue has been resolved.

An update will be appreciated.

thanks cjweaser

To answer your questions - nobody from that site can access thier files even though they ca connect to the server.

yes I did create a new folder and assigned them rights to it - but to no avail still got "Access Denied".

So I can duplicate the problem - I have basically narrowed it down to something on the file server - is not allowing access. cause when the files was on the global domain controller they could get access - yet on the back-up domain controller that now has the files - no access

go figure

anyway anything else???

bob

I would disable any Firewalls/Security Software or built-in firewall that your backup DC has.
Failure to access is leading me to believe that it's firewall related.

This might be a trust issue or even DNS but I would start with trusts first. I could create a trust from one use pc the the file server.

Hello Everyone

Thanks for the inpu

I figured out the problem and now it is fixed.

For some unknown reason it wants the full Domain name such as test.test.com instead of just using test.

Anyway its fixed now and thanks

bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back