Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied to Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPillow

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
AE
I have 3 partitions on my HD, one of which (E:) is only accessible to the administrator and my own power user account. All was fine...then i reformated my C: drive and reinstalled Win2000 Pro. Guess what? Now i get access denied when i try to access E: ...
i thought all permissions would be reset when u reformat and reinstall Win2000? How can i get back into E: ??? Thx....

If you didn't format e: as well, it still has the same permissions as before. If the only accounts with access are local accounts from the install you trashed, you could be in trouble.

If a domain account has permissions, just log on as that user.

You could try taking ownership of the disk, from the security tab of the disk properties, and giving yourself permissions.

You could use a utility like NTFS DOS for recovering the data.

Log on as Local Administrator - make sure the entire drive is not encrypted. Take ownership of all files & folders, and try again. Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful. Thanks!

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Thx!! Whew!!! i managed to take ownership of the drive, got access to my files again... had a lot of important stuff... thx again :)))) .

Dont forget to vote for the helpful one's here!...we have big ego's and want to me "Tipmaster of the week"!
lol
;)

..glad it worked for ya.
Good Luck! Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful. Thanks!

Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back