Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access denied to CDROM and floppy drives 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

packdragon

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2003
US
I cannot access the CDROM or floppy drives of the two domain controllers in the domain. These are both Windows 2000 Servers. Since I was terminaled into the machines, I thought maybe it was because the security policy that restricts CDROM access to only locally logged in users was in effect. I located the policy in the Domain Controllers Security Policy and Disabled it. Still no access. Then I found out that even logged on locally as the enterprise administrator did not grant me access. It merely says "Access is denied".

I've tried searching, but I can't seem to find any other policy that might be enforcing such a silly restriction. Should there ever be a network problem with these machines I would be screwed because of no floppy or CD access. I have not tried booting into safe mode to see if that works, these are also production databases so downtime must be minimal. What could be wrong? Any ideas on where to look?

Hi all,

I still cannot use my CD/DVD drive.
I still get a "The disk in drive D is not formatted" message from my CD/DVD drive. I cleaned the laser lens using a commercially available product. I noticed that on Properties the Device name is listed as \\.\CdRom0 but the device address parameters are blank. Is this normal ?
Any suggestions what else I should look for ?

ciao,

B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back