Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied logging into Redhat Linux server

Status
Not open for further replies.

cichkid

Technical User
Apr 27, 2003
CA
I have installed a new Redhat linux server. When I use Putty to connect from my PC to the linux box I get the login screen enter my usercode and password and promptly get "access denied". I have tried root and the other four accounts that I have set up on the linux box. Is there something that I have to configure to get my ssh connection to work?

If I ssh from the linux box to itself it allows me to log in as a different user without problem! HELP please.

JT

Hi,

When you use putty make sure you use protocol as "SSH". And accept your key when it prompt. On top of that, check your firewall setting if you have one to pass through IN/OUT ssh port 22.

regards,
feroz

Does it do the same thing with telnet'ing to the box (assuming you installed telnetd and it is running)?

One thing you could check is to see how your pam (pluggable authentication modules) is set up for sshd (on those linux distros that use pam).

In /etc/pam.d there should be a sshd file. As an example, one of my redhat 8.0 boxes has the sshd file with the contents:

#%PAM-1.0
auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth required /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session required /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session optional /lib/security/pam_console.so

Just something to start with. It does sound like (from your initial post) that you are at least getting to the box from and external one (via ssh), thus that mostly rules out that it is a network or ssh protocol issue.

---
Batavus

do ipcbains -F to reset firewall
after that, you can try again
Hopefully the SSH works this time!

--
Mike FN
"8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Web Programmer."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back