Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied - File May Be In Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

beggarsu

Technical User
Jul 17, 2003
GB
Hello everyone, please help.

I have 2 word docs on our server that I cannot access. I basically need to copy the files to another drive, but everytime I try to copy, I get "Access denied - file may be in use". The file is not in use by any other program, user, etc. I checked the security settings of the files... there are no parameters set. The files won't let me adjust the security settings either. I've tried the propegate from parent, and reset child parameters, but both these functions give "access denied" as well. Anyone help???

Did you check to make sure someone doesn't have them open?

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Thanks for replying lander.

The files are currently placed in an area of the server which is not shared, so nobody has access to it. I did have an issue with filename length, which wouldn't let me do anything to file, but this was resolved leaving only the copying issue.

if you are using an admin account, you should take ownership of the files first, that way the security tab will show you who else has rights on them.

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at

Thanks Aftertaf

I am on the admin account and I've tried taking ownership of the files. It still gives access denied. I've also tried propegating permissions to all child objects which gives access denied error too.

I'm very puzzled as I've tried the obvious things.

you had a problem with the file name??? thtis is sorted out now? cos when 'illegal' names are used, it can go quite nuts on you!!

this happened for me once with an ftp server that got 'hacked'!

___
rebooting in safe mode, going to command prompt and using xcacls maybe??

Aftertaf
________
Regain control of your PC, at

I have seen this happen when the files were saved on the system by a MAC. In my case it turned out that the files had TRAILING SPACES on the filename.

There is filelock process in windows 2000 server, your file may be locked by that process, you need to kill the process in talkmanager, but the thing is I dont know the exact name of the process, you have to try.

Find the exact file name by using a command prompt, then copy it from there. Once it's copied somewhere safe then delete the problem files and paste back in the new copies.

Glen A. Johnson
To get the best answers to your questions, check out faq950-5848
If you're from the Chicago land area, check out Tek-Tips in Chicago IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back