Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Denied error message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdnguy

Technical User
Aug 10, 2015
CA
I am trying to access various folders on an external hard drive.

When I try to access some, I get an error message :

You don't currently have permission to access this folder.

Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder.

Continue or cancel.

If I click on Continue, then I get prompted with this message :

You have been denied permission to access this folder

To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab.

I don't know what to check in the security tab.

I also have another issue that may be related. When Windows 10 loads, it gets to a user select screen, instead of going right to the desktop. I'm the only person who uses this computer, and don't need to setup a password to sign in. Somehow there are 2 users set up, and one of them is my outlook account.

How do I delete these accounts, and just have 1 admin account that boots to the desktop?

For the 1st problem, try and install the following to your right click context menu, Take Ownership.

It works with windows 10.

How do I gain access to files that Windows says I don’t have permission to access?

How To Take Ownership And Grant Permissions To Access Files & Folders In Windows 8

Try typing control userpasswords2 in the RUN box (Windows Key + R). See what you can do in there. It sounds like you have both a Local Account and a Microsoft Account running on your machine. You may have to remove one user from your list of users.

Introducing Windows 8: Should You Use a Local Account or a Microsoft Account?

HTG Explains: Microsoft Accounts vs. Local Accounts in Windows 8

Adding and Managing User Accounts in Windows 8 or Windows 8.1

Hi Linney, I managed to give full control to the account I typically use daily which is the local account. I don't know how I switched to the Microsoft one, but the local account didn't have full control before.
The local account now has full control.

However when I tried the steps in the first link, it still doesn't work. I have a pictures folder on an external HD, with subfolders. Not all subfolders are restricted, but the ones that were blocked before, are still blocked. As for his command prompt steps, the command prompt doesn't recognize the takedown command.

As for the 2nd link it looked like I was making progress, I went to all the tabs and made the audit changes, however I am still seeing the same access denied error message.

Am I missing anything?

Actually, I just realized that the command is "takeown" not "takedown" and so the command worked. I am now able to access those folders.

The problem now is that when I access those folders, and try to open those pictures I get an error message that says:

"We can't open this file."

None of the picture icons have previews.

Where did these folders come from - a different operating system? Sounds like the pictures are corrupt. Are there any files you CAN open in the folders?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Goombawaho: Here's an example of what's happening.

I have a folder called "Pictures". Inside "Pictures" there are subfolders like "Vacation Pictures" and "Wedding pictures".

Pictures inside the "Vacation pictures" are fine. Pictures inside "Wedding pictures" cannot be opened. Windows will display the message "We can't open the file".

I know that the pictures are not corrupt because I connected the external hard drive to my TV's USB port and the tv will open the files that Windows won't.

Linney: Thanks for those 2 new links but it's a bit over my head. I'm trying to understand it, and see how it applies to my situation but I'm not sure how to fix this issue.

Thanks for your help guys, but I managed to figure out the issue now and I'm able to access the pictures after all.

Yeah, give up the info. It might help someone else.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

I was originally right clicking on the top level folder (Pictures) and then on Properties, then security, then advanced, then add, and providing full control for the local account.

I managed to get it working by doing the above steps on each individual sub folder that I was getting an error message on.

If you would have told windows to propagate the permission changes to all sub folders and files it would have worded for everything.

Bill
Lead Application Developer
New York State, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back