Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access db VERY slow to load using desktop shortcut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul7905

MIS
Jun 29, 2000
US
Hello all.

I have several access databases on my laptop. I am running XP professional and Office 2000 professional.

I am experincing very slow loading of any of the databases if I use a shortcut to the MDB on my desktop, typically, after clicking on the desktop shortcut icon, I get an hourglass that lasts up to a couple of minutes after which I get the user/password screen and all is good.

If use a shortcut directly to Access, or Access frcm the Ofice tool-bar, Access loads instantly, then using the file-open technique to open any of the MDB's, the database will load instantly.

Has anyone experienced Access being VERY slow to load using a desktop shortcut to the MDB and have a solution to fix this problem?

Thanks
Paul

What happens if you double click the MDB file directly from Windows explorer (or right click and choose Open)? is this quick or slow.

John

Is the mdb is on a network or a shared drive?

"Don't be irreplaceable. If you can't be replaced, you can't be promoted."

How are ya Paul7905 . . .

You really need to execute the post by [blue]jrbarnett[/blue] and let us know the results. [surprise]

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

I met the same problem after install the new anti-virus software. So maybe the anti-virus software get the bad performance for all office applications.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Double Clicking the mdb directly from the windows explorer OR chosing the Open option after right clicking is agonizingly slow.

The mdb's still open blazingly fast if I first choose to open Access from the Office toolbar and then open a mdb from within Access (all the backend tables have been linked).

All of the mdb's (5 of them) are front-end / back-end and are local to the laptop (front-ends on drive C: , back-ends on drive D:).

Double clicking from the desktop is just as painful and on ocassion, while the database eventually loads, one of two messages sometimes appear. One says "There was a problem sending the command to the program" or "Windows cannot find C:\AccessFrontEnds\Customer\PJ.mdb". Note than in either case, the mdb did eventually open and one of the two messages, when they appear, only do so AFTER the mdb is closed.

I just noticed something strange.

I use my laptop at the office connected to the microsoft network. I have the network settings set up to obtain an ip address automatically. I only use this connection to access the internet or to do some development on a server using a terminal services connection. When I logon, I don't join the domain.

What I noticed is, if my laptop is operating disconnected from the office network, I do not experience any performance decrease loading an mdb from a desktop shortcut. This only happens if I am connected to the office network. Does this give anyone a clue as to why this might be so?

Thanks
Paul

After connected to office network, your pc will do the following jobs.
1. Check the netcard status and test the configuration.
2. Lookup DHCP server and IP address.
3. Configure the shared folders and printers in your pc.
4. Connect to the mapped drives.
5. Connect to internet to auto-update some software.
These jobs maybe lower the pc performance.

Do you have offline folders set up for synchronisation at logon/logoff?

Even if you may be using a local account, if your laptop has shared folders, it may be synchronising them with the server. Check with your network administrator.

John

Was there any resolution on this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem. When I open an Access db from clicking on the database file itself, it takes painfully long to open up. But if I open the Access application and open the file from there, no problem. No others in the organization are experiencing this same issue.

Just a suggestion:
Try defragging your hard drive(s). I have seen performance issues with users running databases on their hard drive have problems just like you are describing. In almost every case, once they defragged, time to open improved dramatically, and errors on load reduced.

Remember that the icons and shortcuts on your desktop are just 'maps' to the actual data storage. If the files on your hard drive are broken up in many pieces, it can take longer for the application to find all the parts and put them together correctly. Most people neglect this simple house-keeping task, and then find themselves with painfully slow performance. Personally, I defrag my pc every other month for this reason.

Also, you should run a compact-repair on both the front and back ends of your mdbs. If you find your mdbs rapidly increasing in size after frequent use, check your code for any recordset objects you haven't closed and null set at the end of a proceedure.

Melanie
~Tazcat2k~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back