Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access DB acting strange!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brlee1crv

Technical User
Apr 10, 2003
US
Greetings,
I have a database that has been working fine up until the past few days. Now periodically I will get a message "This action will reset the current code in break mode", "Do you want to stop the running code?"

If I click yes the same message keeps popping up, if I hit no I return to the query or form I was in and I can't close it because the message will pop up again. I have to exit Access through task manager. Also after closing I checked in the directory that the database is in and find that it has been creating duplicates of itself. There are now copies named db1, db2, db3, and so forth. I tried to export the tables but it only goes about halfway and halts Access. Any ideas of how I can save this database? Thanks.

Well, of course, like you've been taught, you needed to do that BEFORE the problem arose; i.e. always make a backup and a backup of the backup! Have you made any changes at all in the days leading up to this behaviour! BTW, what version of Access are you running?

The Missinglinq

"It's got to be the going,
not the getting there that's good!"
-Harry Chapin

Should have added try compiling the DB and see if anything pops up, and I guess Compact & Repair.

"It's got to be the going,
not the getting there that's good!"
-Harry Chapin

How are ya Brlee1crv . . . . .

Best I would try at this point is as follows:

[ol][li]Make a new database and export the tables, Queries, and forms in sections (tables first, then queries, then forms). [blue]The idea is to pin-down the group halting export.[/blue][/li]
[li]Depending on 1 above, export objects of the known group singularly [blue]until you find the culprit[/blue]. Export all of the group in this way so you'll know all those with a problem.[/li][/ol]
Once you complete the above, [blue]you'll know where to do your hunting[/blue], what code to look at, or at least who needs to be reconstructed.

It sounds like you have some kind of corruption, but its hard to say without further info . . . . .

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Don't know if it helps but I've also been having problems with Access recently where I got that 'nice' Microsoft message offering to repair the database. It does no good.

I've dealt with it in the inverse way to TheAceMan1: I create an empty database and Import everything into it. This seems to work - Exporting sometimes seems to transmit the corruption with it.
Simon Rouse

How are ya DrSimon . . . . .

I could'nt agree with you more. If there's a problem with exporting, certainly try importing. [blue]But I could'nt sleep, not knowing who (what object/s) was causing the problem![/blue] Problems can just as easily be imported, where after the right conditions occur (like exporting) the gremlin comes out of the closet.

Either way the button line here is [blue]Peace Of Mind![/blue] ;-)

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

You're always very friendly TheAceman1! I'm fine and hope you are too. The difference between us is that if I can find a solution that works 80:20 I'll use it - whatever. If it doesn't solve it or the problem keeps recurring I'll go your way. But the way I see it, life is too short to go solving all the gremlins that computers throw our way. My personal aphorism is "Computers are only human after all". That bring a wry smile to the face of experienced computer people and a puzzled look from others.
Simon Rouse

DrSimon . . . . .

[purple]Agreed! . . . . .[/purple]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try your suggestion out AceMan1 and post the results.

I seem to have found the culprit. I can export every object in the database except for a table. This table happens to be the one that stores all the important data too. I also tried importing it into a new database but it just hangs there on the last bar. I ran a performance check on it and analyzed it but I don't get error messages. What can I do now? I really don't want to lose this data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back