Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database with error 3197

Status
Not open for further replies.

acjeff

Programmer
Aug 10, 2004
US
Hi all,

Same problem as so many people but still cannot fix it.

Database: MS Access 2000

Program: Visual Basic 6

Tables: One of them contains a Memo field.

Sympton: A customer was using the VB 6 application with the database. One time the VB program cannot be started because the database was crashed with an error message 3197 ... something like another user is trying to use the same data...

Be mentioned that there is no ldb or other additional files generated. Furthermore, I am using Access 2003 right now.

Then I got back the database and found no way to open it:

1) From Access, it shows the same error.

2) From VB code:

Set db = DBEngine.Workspaces(0).OpenDatabase(dbname, , True)
where dbname is the full path and the file name of the database

Then it shows the same error

3) Created a new database and tried to import tables from the bad database file and got the same error.

What I need:

1) Try to save all data in the database file.

2) Find out what is bad in the database and what made it bad in order to avoid the same problem in the future.

Please help.

Jeff

I can also provide the bad database but I not to public so if anyone is interested, please give me an email address.

Hi

Why assume databse is bad?, you say .ldb file is not created, this makes me wonder if you have full permissions in folder where mdb file is stored, have you?

Regards

Ken Reay
Freelance Solutions Developer
Boldon Information Systems Ltd
Website needs upgrading, but for now - UK

I login to my computer as administrator with full permission. The database does not have any permission or password settings. I created it and give it to my customers and there were more than one customers who had the same problem once in a while. I use Access 2003 Professional version and still cannot open it up. It seems to be a known problem from Microsoft:

I just want to know how I can prevent the same problem in the future. One way I am thinking about is get rid of the memo data field and use an ini file to store the long data strings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back