Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database security 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eek

Technical User
Feb 4, 2001
CA
A question from a newbie.

I've heard that if someone finds the path to my .mdb Access database they could simply download the file and read the content. I tried it and it did work! I could password protect it but we all know how much ''protection'' that will give me. What options do I have to secure my database and it's content ? The database needs to remain in an Access format.

my advice would be to place it outside of the web accessible area. You can still map to it directly or using the DSN connection

how can I tell if an area or folder on my server is web accessible or not ?

as long as its not within a virtual directory then it cannot be downloaded through your website.

A structure I often use is like this:

inetpub
sitename
db (access mdb file in here)
site (all other website files in here)

site would be the local path of my website virtual directory.

I use a DSNless connection to my database and so my connection string looks like this:
Code:
strConnect = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=c:\inetpub\[URL unfurl="true"]wwwroot\sitename\db\my_database.mdb;"[/URL]

Tony
reddot.gif WIDTH=500 HEIGHT=2 VSPACE=3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back