Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Database Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

lm0304

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
I really need some help!

I have a database that resides on a network. Currently, three people use it, including myself. Unfortunately, I need to limit access to this database to allowing only one user in my Quotation Entry Form at a time, because I am using autonumber and having problems with numbers being skipped or missing. Currently, everyone has the same access rights as I do (administrator), and obviously, this is wrong!

I have had many problems with missing quote numbers or skipped numbers -- can someone please help me with the appropriate steps needed to accomplish this?

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance.

Hi !!!
I have an idea.
Create table that will have one field.
In the enter to the system, this field will be updated to 1.
In the enter there will be checking.
If the field is empty then continue, else exit from the program.
In the exit of the first user, the field will be update to empty.
Do not forget to make update to the DB if there will be exit not in the right way.

Ahuvas

You need to set up user level security. That way you can limit what people can do. I have several that run on a network. With the security in place even if you do not limit what people can do the db knows how many users are in at once and indexes the autonumber accordingly. I have alleviated all my issues like yours by going this way.

If you wish to go this route and would like some guidance please post to this message.

HTH,

Danny

Dannyocean:

Would like some guidance on the security levels, etc.

Can you help?

lmm304

1. Set up a mdw file for your db. Use the help instructions in Access for a Workgroup file.

2. After you create the new mdw make sure to rejoin the system.mdw file for your copy of access.

3. Create a shortcut in the target line you will need to fix the sytax. Here is a copyu of one of mine.
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\MSACCESS.EXE" V:\Puball\UM\Discharg.mdb/wrkgrp V:\Puball\Um\Discharg.mdw

V is the network drive. DOn't go lower than two folder levels. I had trouble and that was an issue.

The shortcut launches access then your db and the associated workgroup.

Once you get the shortcut working. Go into tools, security, user and group accounts. Add you users. Then distribute the shortcut. Make sure to have a working copy of the shortcut on the network so you can retrive it for distribution.

This will allow all users global access to the db, but will fix your Write errors.

Let mw knoe if you have further questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back