Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Database - Read Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

realtallgal

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2008
US
For some reason my database on the LAN keeps reverting to read only.. I will be in it one minute, close it, then go back into it and it says that it is READ ONLY.. is there a feature that i have on that I don't realize that is causing this? Please advise.

I am not repairing or compating. A user will go in first thing in the morning and it will be read only.. any suggestion how to fix it?

The user should have sufficient credentials on the LAN share to remove the .ldb file.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

The ldb file is the lock file created by Access. All users must have full permissions on the back-end and front-end folders.

I like to think of the ldb file as the "lights". The lights are in the "records" room in Access. Every user must have the permissions to both turn on the lights (create the ldb) and turn off the lights (delete the ldb).

When the first user opens your mdb, he turns on the lights (creates the ldb). This allows all users to be able to see which records are being edited. Other users can then safely edit, create, and delete records. If the first user in the room can't turn on the lights, then additional users won't have a clue regarding which records are being accessed and won't be able to turn on the lights. The mdb will be read-only.

When the last user exits the room, he turns off the lights (deletes the ldb).

This is a bit simplified but might explain your issues.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back