Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access database on "Thumbdrive"

Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyWong

Technical User
May 19, 2002
US
Hello All,
I am working on Access 2002. I am wondering if anyone or developer have tried using the "ThumbDrive" - a USB Drive connected on the USB port which acts as another drive. I would like to know if I create a database in Access 2002 and using the Access 2002 Developer's Toolkit
to generate a runtime version of the Access database that I created, could it run on a machine that don't have Access?
Thanks in advance for your response or insights.

my first thought is that the run time is pretty big... I don't know if it'll fit on a thumb drive(i know it wont on smaller one's, they come as small as 8 meg or even smaller), but a bigger one I don't know...

How big does the install become?? If it'll fit on the thumb drive, I don't see why you can't install it from the thumbdrive...

now to another aspect of your question... If you install the access runtime onto the computer you can open and use an access db... I don't know how that works because i've never done it... I don't see why you wouldn't be able to run the db right off the thumb drive either... just keep space in mind... how big your thumb drive is, and remember, don't pull the drive out while a program is accessing(excuse the pun please) data on the drive...

Just my thoughts... If i missed the boat on your question please clairify a bit and i'd be happy to take another stab at it...

--James MCP

junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Hello James,
Thanks for your response to my question. The purpose of the database is to collect information, so it would be
very small. I just need to know if the target PC doesn't have Microsoft Access, can I install all the appropriate files to run the runtime of the database on my "ThumbDrive".
By the way, the ThumbDrive is 128mb.
If using Access Developer's Toolkit to create the runtime of the application is not possible to run on the ThumbDrive what alternate program can I use to make this happen? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks for your quick response and your time in answering my query.

well, you can put the runtime on a cd, and keep the db on the thumb drive... if access isn't installed on the computer, then give them the cd to install the run time... just a thought...

now, as I said befor, I don't know how big the runtime install is, you might be able to fit it on the thumb drive... I'm just not familure with the access runtime...

--James

junior1544@jmjpc.net
Life is change. To deny change is to deny life.

Hello James,
Thanks for your response and I'll have to try it out just to see if it would work. Appreciate your time - Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back