Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Data Dictionary

Status
Not open for further replies.

cj92713696

Programmer
Nov 23, 2000
US
I've created a project using Microsoft Access. The program works great, but the database is rather large. I've been assigned the task to document my database, however I've already done this via properties of each field w/a description in the description property.

I'm searching for software which will extract this information in a very nice format listing all of my fields, their descriptions, and the variable types. I really want software to create a data dictionary using existing info.

Does software such as this exist for Access 2000?

Thanks!

Have you checked out Tools -> Analyze -> Documenter?

I think this may give you what you want.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+
w: rljohnso@stewart.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

Yes, I've tried this and it works great w/one exception. It doesn't record my description, otherwise this is exactly what I want.

Well...you can export the documenter results to word or something and then just add the description in...But that is the only tool I know and use....I don't normally put descriptions in anyway, so I have never had this problem.

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+
w: rljohnso@stewart.com
h: wildmage@tampabay.rr.com

I appreciate the help. I just have several databases I'm trying to document and although I might be able to put the descriptions in on one, the others will require a lot of work. I'm trying to save myself the hassle of manually typing the descriptions for everything.

If you want the descriptions, you must select the option "Names, DataTypes, Sizes, and Properties".
When the documenter has finished, you can link to the table that was created during the procedure. The table and connection on my PC is
DATABASE=C:\Documents and Settings\Duane Hookom\Application Data\Microsoft\Access\ACWZUSRT.MDT;TABLE=doc_tblObjects
You can then create a query to get all the field names and other properties:
TRANSFORM First(Left([doc_tblObjects_2].[Extra1],255)) AS Expr1
SELECT doc_tblObjects.Name AS TableName, doc_tblObjects_1.Name AS FieldName, doc_tblObjects_1.Extra2 AS FieldType, doc_tblObjects_1.Extra3 AS FieldSize
FROM (doc_tblObjects AS doc_tblObjects_2
INNER JOIN doc_tblObjects AS doc_tblObjects_1 ON doc_tblObjects_2.ParentID = doc_tblObjects_1.ID)
INNER JOIN doc_tblObjects ON doc_tblObjects_1.ParentID = doc_tblObjects.ID
WHERE (((doc_tblObjects_1.TypeID)=11))
GROUP BY doc_tblObjects.Name, doc_tblObjects_1.Name, doc_tblObjects_1.Extra2, doc_tblObjects_1.Extra3
PIVOT doc_tblObjects_2.Name;

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

I should have mention FMS. I have used several of their products since Access 2.0. I currently have the top of the line Suite package. The products are good investments if you require their functionality.

Duane
MS Access MVP
Find out how to get great answers faq219-2884.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back