Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Conversion Query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mintaka

Technical User
Mar 19, 2002
GB
A friend has received a database file from a client, it's 20 meg in size and has the extension .mdb. So he tried to open it in Access 2000. He received this error message and was unable to open the file:

"This operation is not supported for Microsoft Access 1.X databases"

Would someone shed some light on this for him and maybe offer a solution.

Many thanks in anticipation.

The error message gives the problem away.
The mdb file you have been sent is a version 1 file. A2000 cannot convert from version 1.
The best way to convert it would be to find someone with access 2.0 to convert the 1.0 file to 2.0 which can then be upsized to Access 2000.
Alternatively you may be able to create a blank A2000 file and import the objects into it.

Good luck

B ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
----------------------------------

oharab, many thanks for your reply, it is appreciated. You're talking to two Access-virgins, here. Would you explain how to "import the objects into it.", and which objects to import.

Thanks for your patience, oharab.

run access.... then create a blank database, after that it will prompt you to save the new file, give it a name: then click create. After that go to the menu click on File>Get External Data>Import

Then select your database

Hope this helps :D Will [hammer]

No probs.
Create a new database file.
In this file, choose File->Get External Data->Import
In the dialog that follows choose your Access 1 file you have been given.
Tick all of the objects you want to import. If you only want data then just choose the tables. If you want to try and run the database then you will have to import everything.
You will probably get some errors and you will probably have to have several goes at it, but persevere and you should get results.

Good luck.

B ----------------------------------
Ben O'Hara
bo104@westyorkshire.pnn.police.uk
----------------------------------

There is a whole mass of conversion issues covered on the Microsoft Knowledge Base

Try the following:

Q136064

It appear the Access 1 will also convert into Access 7 (Office 95) but it will not convert to 2000 or 97.

There are also a great number of issues regarding converting 16 bit database into 32 bit database.

I would go with Ben's option and import the Tables into Access 2000, then use the Wizards to create forms to view the data or create reports

If this doesn't work it may be worth asking the customer to export the data and then import it directly into Access 2000

Regards

Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Hi all - I am the other virgin. Mintaka has passed your stuff to me.

I have tried the import and when I get to the options about what to import I get a window called import objects.

This has 7 tabs on it - tables, queries, forms etc. but there is nothing in them.

What do I do now? This is the first time I have ever opened Access 2000.

I have just finished a converion project with Railtrack (unless the name has changed) sorry if you are not Uk based but it will make sense to the Brits.

I have a PC set up with Access 2 and will be happy to try to convert the file. I will not be happy with a 20 MB database dropping into my in-box though.

See what you can do at you end RE Zipping the file, I am in the UK so you could post a CD to me but I have no idea where you are.

Let me know if I can help Neil Berryman
IT Trainer
neil_berryman@btopenworld.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back