Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access closing itself

Status
Not open for further replies.

PPSAG

MIS
Oct 12, 2001
US
I have never seen a program do this before. I have an Access2000 database on a computer used for nothing else. The database opens fine, but after about a minute it just closes. No prompts or warnings, it just disappears. Any suggestions? Mooo... :)

Check autoexec and the startup form property and make sure they do not open a hidden form. A hidden form may have code on it to close the file after a minute based on the On timer event. This assumes someone made some effort to bother you. Otherwise, I don't have any ideas.

Thanks for the response. I had't thought of someone wanting to mess with me. But it turns out that this wasn't it. I did check the files you suggested though. At least I have eliminated another possibility Mooo... :)

Who's database is it?
If not yours ask the person who developed it
If yours panic or if pos. send it to me

This one is note mine, but I discovered a few minutes ago that it doesn't seem to matter what Access database I open, they all do the same thing. And when they dissapear, the .ldb file doesn't go away. Which tells me it is not actually executing a quit command. So I'm thinking I need to reinstall Access. Does that sound logical to you? Mooo... :)

Most definitely. Uninstall and then Install Access.

Believe it or not, I have seen screen savers and antimated mouse pointers make access run differently. Running totals will stop working, but turn off some of those goodies and the app works ok.

I never had a problem like you described, but maybe what I offered might help.

If any of those things are running, turn them off and see what happens.

Is your Database and or any linked file(s) on a network where your connection might time out?

Thanks for all the responses. Nothing is working. There are no screen savers or fancy pointers installed on that system. The database resides on that system, no network links necessary. I've done a virus scan with no virus found. I'm really not sure what to try next. Mooo... :)

One thing almost always works for me... Back up all the data, drop the partitions on the hard drive, cold boot, add partion(s), boot, format and install your OS and everything else again. This is the last ditch cure all. Use sparingly. One more thing, install and update your virus software BEFORE restoring anything.

Or you can keep guessing and trying different things... The key question to ask is what changed since it last worked? Next question... Who may have changed something on your computer?

formating really wasn't an option on this particular system.
I have corrected the problem though. I wish I knew what happened. I fixed it by running an uninstall/repair from the control panel. I did this twice last week with no success. This morning I used a different set of CDs and this time it worked. So I still don't really know why it didn't work last week. But thankfully the problem is corrected now.

I really appreciate all of your responses. Mooo... :)

2 Gueess come to mind... The CD you had last week was an earlier release and the other CD is Current (or recent enough) that it works. The second less likely possiblity is that the CD itself contained an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back