Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Charts

Status
Not open for further replies.

swan717

MIS
May 16, 2001
US
Hi:

I am creating a report (template)in Access that has several charts, table, and text. The template has all the same charts, but each page corresponds to a different town and therefore has different numbers. The problem is that I am missing data for some years for some of the towns (not the same years for each town). When I print the report I have blank spaces in the charts. Is there any way to only show the years that I have the data available?

Thanks for you help!

how do you have the chart record source related to the town? what is the record source for the chart? does it have in there the criteria some how of selecting only the town that is being reported on on that page? when you run the query that the chart is based on do you only get the records returned for one town? sorry if i'm going in circles i'm trying to figure out your set up.

Hi GingerR:

The main report is running off of tables, queries, and subreports. Everything is based on the community name which in the report is in the header as
=[community_name] & " COMMUNITY PROFILE"

The subreports are created so that Community name is listed as the "link master field" and community is the "link child field".

The chart that I am having problems with is running off of a table. Here's an example: Boston has reported their crimes every year for the last 10 years, but Acton has only reported 5 times in the last 10 years...therefore I have missing data. I am trying to figure out if there is a way that I can have the chart only show those years with data (which is different for each community).

Thanks!

hmmm....why don't you try putting the chars directly into the main report instead of having them in subreports. That works for me. I do this a lot. i just tried it using a subreport but couldnt' get it to work correctly. but when the chart (just copy and paste from the subreport) is directly on the main report, it works fine. the criteria is like you said, i.e.

CommunityName = Reports!MainReport!CommunityName

also i had to make sure i had that exact field on my report (can be invisible) with the name i.e. CommunityName, not just as part of a concantonated title. it wont just read that field because it's part of the underlying table/query of the main report. it has to be actually on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back