Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access - ascii text to date conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

farmerami1

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2003
US
We have been populating an Access database (dbase4) with another program since '97. The date has always been entered in as text in the format of mm/dd/yy. Now we are told that it needs to be in date format. Is there a way to convert an existing column of text characters into a masked date field column?

In table design view try to change the data type of the field from text to DateTime.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Or create another column (DateTime) an update it with the value of the existing column. That might make it easier to locate problems.

In the table design view, I tried to change that column from a text field to a date time field. It gave me a multitude of warnings and would not let me do it. One of the columns is bound to another table, but not specifically the column that I am trying to change. I think I will have to go with response 2 or change the format of the column from mm/dd/yy to yyyymmdd as I am only allowed 8 characters from the ini file of the program that is populating it. How hard is that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back