Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access and Outlook integration

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewkeller

Technical User
Oct 21, 2002
US
I think this is possible but it would be nice to have an example to work from...

We are going to keep Engineering Change Orders (ECO) in a database on the server to track changes in how a product is manufactured. When an ECO is proposed, it has to be signed off by several people before the actual changes are going to be made. Once all of the action items are done, the ECO is closed.

What I envision is this

ECO creation: The user enters the data into a form in Access. Part of the data is who will need to sign off on it. Another part is who will need to perform action items (i.e. a task list). When the form is done being entered, pressing a button saves the information in the ECO log and sends an email to everyone who needs to sign off.

Signoff: Everyone who needs to sign off gets an email that contains the ECO. The email contains a form with two buttons: Accept and Reject. When either button is pressed, the action is logged in the ECO database and when all signoffs have been completed, the action items can be started.

Action items: An email is sent to each person who has a task in the action items (one at a time, serially). The email contains a button that can be clicked when the task is complete. Clicking the button updates the database and sends the email to the next person in the routing.

Once all action items are complete, the ECO is closed.

So is this possible and is there an example somewhere that i could start from? thanks.

Drew

If you wish to send me (andy@mtechnologies.co.uk) your e-mail address I will return you some code which will allow you to do exactly what you want.

Andy

In my experience, approval(s) for changes are not quite that easy. They include precedences, similar to 'routing' slips. The process (IME) works either as a filter or recommendation process. In the filter approach, if ANY mamber of the chain fails to approve, the change is rejected, while the recommendation approach simply acts to post the Users opinion, with the final decision left to the project manager. Either approach MAY be implemented in various manners, but the filter method is not really suitable for bulk / broadcast e-mail.

MichaelRed
m.red@att.net

There is never time to do it right but there is always time to do it over

Andy
i sent you an email earlier but i'm getting some errors back.
my email is drew@drewkeller.com
thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back