Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access and a Word Merge doc

Status
Not open for further replies.

NINMSA

MIS
Aug 22, 2001
US
I have a Table document in Word and would like to make it a merge doc - merging names from Access. There could be 30 names per sheet - one per group of people. Access is set to only select one group at a time.
When I do the merge I have the same person multiple times on a sheet. The 2nd sheet shows the 2nd person, etc, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Nancy

Wouldn't it be easier to just create a report in Access that looks like your Word document?

I would like to do this in Access but I cannot adjust the margins small enough to fit the document... Word will allow minimum margain and all 32 columns will fit.
Any other suggestions greatly appreciated.

When I do the merge I have the same person multiple times on a sheet. The 2nd sheet shows the 2nd person, etc, etc.
Usually this can be remedied by selecting "Catalog" as your Main Document type instead of "Form Letters" or "Mailing Labels".

dcompto
You will be able to do this if you do a word mail merge and select mailing labels. (You don't have to print labels, but the resulting table will be the same.)

I will give you the Office 2000 explanation. Office XP should be the same, but I know they have moved things around a bit.

Start a mail merge
When selecting document type choose mail labels.
You will then have to select your data source, which you can select an access table or query.
Word should then ask you to setup the document and ask you what type of labels you want.

If you can't find a pre-set labels that is 30 to a page, you can create a label definition instead. Look for a "Definitions" button. The wizard gives allows you to select the size of each label/box and how many columns and rows you want.

Then run the merge.

If its not right, you can do it again. It doesn't take long and is valuable to learn all the options.

When the merge is run, you end up with the template document with the Merge codes and the output document with the text.

The template document is interesting as it has a merge field that asks for the next record. If you want you can set this up manually, as the mail merge tool bar has a drop-down with various control options, but why do all that tedious work when the wizard will do it for you.

Good luck

Zollo A+ / VBA Developer
[thumbsup]

Hi Nancy,

What you want to do is not easy in Word, but can be done with considerable care and code.

Checkout the following url:

and this site of Cindy Meister:

Also note that there were considerable changes to Mail Merge in Word 2002, so documents referring to older versions of Word will require some extra understanding. I think Cindy Meister has details of the changes.

Good Luck!

Peter Moran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back