Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access an object instance with JVMTI

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanandrews

Programmer
Feb 27, 2003
US
Hi All,

Using JVMTI, is there any way to get access to an object instance, see it's properties, call it's methods, etc. It looks like all the iterate callback functions just give information like, tags, object size, etc., but there seems to be no way to gain access to the object instance itself. Am I missing something?

many thanks!

-B

IMHO, JVMTI is a JVM inspector, ie, a way to know what's going on inside, not to modify its behaviour.

Cheers,
Dian

What I found out is that you have to have certain "capabilities" set ( or permissions ) and those cannot be set in the live phase. They must be set in the load phase. So basically you have to start your agent with the target VM, you can't just connect to it get all of the JVMTI features. It's a security feature.

To be sincere, I'm glad that's the way. I wouldn't be confortable if there's a way to act over an existing application at runtime.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back