Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access an excel interface remotely through Citrix

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello101

Instructor
Jun 26, 2006
US
Hello everyone,

I have an excel application that needs to be accessed remotely through citrix by 100 clients. Is this technically possible ? Please advice.

hello101,
This is possible by simply installing your application on a Citrix server and making sure that MS Excel is loaded on that same server.

Then you should be able to publish out the .exe for that application and launch it via Citrix.

Hope that helps.

Thanks enigma,

There's a problem in creating .exe file since I'm using VBA with my excel application and not VB. I have tons of code written in VBA..how easy would it be to convert that to VB? Thanks

To 'Hello101',

I have the same situation as you and just being to research how I can place my VBA Excel workbook out on a Citrix Srvr for access by multiple users.

Have you had success yet?

On the Citrix server, install your application, whatever it is, and with whatever components are required, and make sure it works. Then note the command you need to use to launch the spreadsheet or application (as you would to create a new shortcut). This string is what gets entered into the Citrix published application.

Think of a Citrix server as a regular workstation with a few extra features:
[ul]
[li]remotely controllable[/li]
[li]remotely controllable by multiple simultaneous users[/li]
[li]the shortcuts have extra properties (such as publishing server and to which user group)[/li]
[/ul]

eric@stepneymarsh.com
Stepney Marsh Systems

Eric,

Thanks for the reply. Is the Citrix Server a physical server I need to purchase, then load my application software(Excel)? Then bring it online so others can logon to it?

Or is there a web service out there that I can use that has these components available?

JohnF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back