Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access(ADP)2000 vs 2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensaffer

Programmer
Jan 7, 2005
US
Access 2002 can 'read' Access 2000 ADP ok(as long as it hasn't been converted to Access2002, according to Microsoft documentation), but if I further develop application of adp using Access 2002 - will access 2000 users be able to use it ?
Probably would be best to get a copy of Access 2000 and further develop in that so users will be ok ??
Is that a correct thought ?

With Access 2002 (XP) you can choose your file format - 2002 or 2000. Therefore as long as you use the 2000 format, Access 2000 users can run it OK. I have a number of systems working successfully this way.

However if you want to do MDE's this is not the solution.

Wouldn't it be safer to use Access 2000 to insure no possible problems? I tried to convert the 2000 format and the message says that if converted to 2002 it will not be able to be read by 2000 anymore.

Do not convert it to 2002. Access 2002 will let you develop in either a 2002 OR 2000 version i.e. if the database is in 2000, you can modify it with Access 2002 with no problems. Therefore you can share the database with both 2000 and 2002 users.

When you create a new database in Access 2002, you can choose which of these formats you want.

Another question along this line.....If I am creating a project in 2000 to be a .ade

What advantages would there be to continuing development int 2002 or even 2003???? Since their features would probably not be available if saved in a 2000 format.

Also couldn't the .ade project converted to 2002 or 2003 be distributed among machines who currently have Office 2000 in the same way that you would distribute to a machine that does not have Office or MS Access at all???? IIRC, isn't there a file or 2 that needs to be placed on the machine that does not have Office???? I ask this since I could see an advantage to continued development in the newer formats.

Most Access versions are NOT backwards compatible expecially MDE and ADE versions. You have to convert the software back to the version you want and this normally requires a copy of that version also. Access 2002 (XP) is the only version I know that will let you develop both a 2002 and a 2000 version.

If a user does not have Access, you will need to purchase the Developers version (2002 and earlier) that will let you distribute run-time licenses.

So there really is no advantage to converting your program up unless it is finished and/or all of the users are upgraded to the newer Office Package????

As far as distributing run time licenses....What is the procedure for 2003???? I don't recall a Developers Version for 2003 as with the previous versions.....

Yes, you are correct that converting up does really rely on your users having the same version.

There are other answers to your last question already posted on Tek-Tips (I do not know the correct answer here as I have remained with XP) - perhaps someone else can answer or you can use the search facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back