Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 - Size of Front End Database

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpearo

Technical User
Apr 24, 2000
US
I am creating a multiuser database in Access 97 that contains a lot of forms and reports. The mdb file for the front end is getting pretty large (68 meg) while the actual datbase container is still small (8 meg). Is there a size limit to Access databases? The front end is the one that really concerns me because I still have several forms that I have to add.

I frequently use databases that run between 100 to 200 megs. After that they start to get unstable. However, I design almost entirely for single-user databases.

tpearo, are you compacting regularly? The objects you delete and change take up space until the compact.

I currently have a couple in which the data table mdb is 75 mgb.  The book says you can go to a little over 1 gig, but anything I've had above 75 gets a little squirrelly if you don't repair and then compress it almost daily.

tpearo,<br><br>If your front-end is 68 Mb then you must have either many forms and reports or a lot of embedded graphics files.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br><br>If it is the latter - this is something i have to cope with often- and you have a repeated logo then what you can do is to create a sub form / report to hold the logo and then link this form to all forrms/reports as necessary.&nbsp;&nbsp;Also make sure that your graphic files are trimmed to reduce their size.<br><br>WP <p>Bill Paton<br><a href=mailto:william.paton@ubsw.com>william.paton@ubsw.com</a><br><a href=

If you are still repairing and compacting separately you don't have the latest service release. SR1 or SR2 for 97 included a .dll for Jet that is an improved version of compact and includes the repair as necessary. Although I don't get why compacting is necessary unless you are creating or modifying objects in the front end. With a mature product it's mainly the back end that is changing. If your users are creating lots of ad-hoc queries, perhaps you can modify them to use parameters etc.??? If I'm incorrect on this somebody please set me straight... Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back