Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 Securing a database without users having to sign in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have written an Access 97 database and I am wanting to secure it so only one person can update and all others have read only access. I would like to know a simple way of doing this. I have tried (with limited success) to create user level securities but found that I had to log into Access, not the 'new' database in question. We have other databases in Access and I don't want these to be affected by the security requirements on the new one.

These FAQs will provide some help with setting up Access security in general:

FAQ181-83

FAQ181-1131

FAQ181-1164

For your specific problem, set up a security file, and name it anything you like BUT NOT "Security.mdw". Add a new group and add your administrator to it. Remove the default Admin user from this group, then assign the group all rights and permissions as necessary.

Edit the default Admin user account to have only Read Only permissions.

Set up a desktop shortcut for your administrator, using the new security account. This person will need to log into the db, using the desktop shortcut.

Everyone else will be able to open the database without logging in, BUT will only have the permissions you assigned to the default admin user.

HTH

Lightning

You could have your system administrater set up permissions to your database. IE, some users have read only privledges, other have read write, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back