Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 (jet 3.5?) and Access 2000 (jet 4.0) ODBC coexisting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

javon7065

MIS
Dec 18, 2000
US
hello. I am trying to find out a way to manually install the Access 2000 odbc driver (jet 4.x I think it is referred to) here is the situation:

1) I have an app that needs to use the 3.5 version (access97)ODBC driver. This driver and app are already installed on the machine and need to stay there

2) I need to also put the access 2000 ODBC driver on the same machine for a new app

M$ says that there is a way to do this and it seems logical. However, in the Q artcle Q244040, they assume that you already have Jet 3.5 and jet 4.0 already installed. They then tell you how to divert DSN entries to another ODBC driver. seems simple enough but I am missing the point on how to manually install jet 4.0. It seems as if you install the access 2000 ODBC driver, either from the MDAC or a custom office install, you will overwrite the exisitng driver as they both have the same name.

Am I missing something? any help would be appreciated

joe

The files are named differently.

MSJET35.DLL vs. MSJET40.DLL
MSJTER35.DLL vs. MSJTER40.DLL

And so forth... Check the following pages for lists of files included in the JET40 and JET35.

Terry L. Broadbent
FAQ183-874 contains tips for posting questions in these forums.
NOTE: Reference to the FAQ is not directed at any individual.

Thanks for your reply. I will read these articles thoroughly. although, at first glance, it does not seem that they talk about the MS Access ODBC driver file that you see listed in the control panel applet Data sources (ODBC) I have a machine with access 97 and another with access 2000. one list version 3.5 of the file ODBCJT32.dll and the other list (access 2000) lists version 4.0 of ODBCJT32.dll I think that this is the file that micrsofot was talking about in Q244040

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back