Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 DBMS on XP machine. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mabaulza

IS-IT--Management
Oct 25, 2004
GB
I have a multi user DBMS on a windows 98 machine. Some of the users on the LAN have Windows XP with Access XP installed.

Each time these users access the database from their machines, a dialogue box appears saying that the user has an older version of Access and tries to upgrade it. As most of the users are still using windows 98, the XP users are not allowed to upgrade the DB, as a result the XP users cannot access the DB!!!

Can anyone help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should split the database into frontend GUI and backend tables and give everyone their own copy of the frontend. Each user can convert their frontend if they wish - it won't matter. Keep the backend in A97 for as long as it is necessary.
Database splitter and Linked tables manager are the features you need to look at in Help.
I think these appear in the Tools>Addins menu in A97, but they are in Tools>DatabaseUtilities in later versions.

Thanks alot for your help lupins46. You advice was very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back