Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97- Creating Client/Server Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

herrld

Technical User
May 10, 2001
US
My team has created an Access database that 50+ users will be accessing. We will be putting the database on the network so all users can hit it. I need as much security as possible. Most users will be data-entry only via a form. They will not be running queries or doing anything in design. We have already set up an autoexec that will open the form. Also, removed the ability to Shift+Enter to bypass autoexec. I know how to split a database. Can both the front-end as well as back-end reside on the same server? Will anyone who scrolls through Network Neighborhood and finds the back-end be able to alter it?
Also, if we set up user security will end-users get the login box when they try to open Access (not just our database)?
ps... Been reading for days. Help is not detailed enough.

I can answer the "user see" files question if you use the "network" ability to hide or not allow access to certain files and directories.

In Netware you would simply restrict access (sorry for the pun) to the files you wish to keepm out of certain user hands. Create two groups and assign users to those groups. One group can get into one file and the other can get into both....

HTH

Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back