Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 Connection error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neilf

Technical User
May 15, 2001
GB
Can anybody help with this error which is occurring intermitently when I connect to an Access97 db.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers (0x80004005)
[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]General error Unable to open registry key 'Temporary (volatile) Jet DSN for process 0xa70 Thread 0x888 DBC 0x2306cdc Jet'.

The error doesn't always occur on the same page (it can pass the point its previously fallen over at), if after it occurs I go to the page it 1st connects to the db at, I get this error:
Provider (0x80004005) Unspecified error

If I make a minor change to the connection string on the page, the error clears (for a while).

Do you close all you recordset and connection objects, and set them to nothing when you have finished with them. I had this problem and the reason was although I was closing my object, I was not setting them to nothing. As soon as you have finished with object on an asp page, you should close/set nothing them, ie.

objRS.Close
set objRS = Nothing.

Hope this helps.

G -GTM Solutions, Home of USITE-
-=

Make sure you are setting all your recordsets = nothing, along with your connections at the end of all your pages...

The problem stems from Access being left in a weird (open?) state from an ASP page, and if you look in the directory, you'll see the .ldb file even though you think it shouldn't be there (that's the file that's made when the db is open -- and should cease to exist when the connection is closed).

Set all db related objects = nothing on every page that you use them and that should clear up the problem, but I warn you that many members have reported this not clearing up the problem, and I haven't heard anything better to do to make it work (except upgrading to an enterprise scale dbms).

hope that helps! :)
Paul Prewett
penny.gif
penny.gif

Thanks G & Paul, unfortunately I don't think its that simple. All recordsets are closed at the end of each page (well 1 wasn't but I've changed that now & the error still occurs). I've checked and can't see the .ldb remaining.

I've been looking on Microsoft's support pages & I think the problem might relate to security on the temp directory, not cracked it yet though.

I have now - still no difference, i'm going to have a play around moving everything to my local machine to try & eliminate any security issues. Failing that, the only reason its in Access is because it was originally a stand alone app., I'd like to migrate the whole backend to SQLServer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back