Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 97 and Access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZEason

Programmer
Dec 11, 2000
US
I have an app that uses Access 2000 (Jet 4.0) for its back end. The app is designed for a single user on a PC and will be sent to over 1,000 different customers. My concern is that if a PC/laptop has Access 97 on it and I deploy Jet 4.0 with MDAC 2.6 with my app will this break thier Access97 or will my app not work? I know you can not really run 97 and 2000 on one pc. What are my options to deploy my app with out breaking thier PC? Will MDAC 2.6 hart any other apps on there PC or is it backward compatible?

The app is written in VB 6.0 Enterprise. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

I develop primarily in 97 with split back end and front end When it's done I make and test a 2000 version of the front end. Distribute both with a common backend with appropriate install instructions in a word or PDF file. If you distribute it on CD tell them to uncheck the read only attribute when they copy to their hard drive and give them a re-link method. e.g. on start up the first form has VBA to look for a linked table. If it doesn't find it bring up a file open dialog to find and link the _be file.

Assumming that your application is not written on the Access platform, but, instead, with VB and just using an Jet MDB, then you will have no problems.

Access '97 primarily uses Jet 3.x; Access '2000 uses Jet 4.x

Both of these Jet drivers are installed separately and use different Dlls, and work independently. [/b][/i][/u][sub]*******************************************************
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

I do use the report and query tools in Access 2000. Would this cause a problem? What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

`
>report and query tools

Please explain. How are you using them?

Please realize that all of the objects created will be placed in the MDB and you are accessing the MDB with a Jet database driver, and any changes are made with it. So, there shouldn't be any problem. If you make a change this way, you are only affecting the MDB and not the ACCESS platform.

Basically, the only objects you can access in an MDB using Jet are the Database tables and Queries.

The rest need to be accessed using the Access Object Library. And that needs to be installed on the client PC by the client. [/b][/i][/u][sub]*******************************************************
General remarks:
If this post contains any suggestions for the use or distribution of code, components or files of any sort, it is still your responsibility to assure that you have the proper license and distribution rights to do so!

Hi,

I've modified the setup1.vbp and I've recreated the setup1.exe.

The frmSetup1 Unload event looks like this:

Private Sub Form_Unload(Cancel As Integer)
CleanUpCabs
If Len(GetName) > 0 Then
'msgbox "Acces is installed on the computer"
Else
'MsgBox "Acces is not installed on the computer"
Shell Chr(34) & gstrSrcPath & "RunTime\setup.exe" & Chr(34), vbMaximizedFocus
End If
End Sub

Private Function GetName() As String
Dim sKeyName As String
Dim sValueName As String
Dim sDefaultUserProfile As String
Dim osinfo As OSVERSIONINFO
Dim retvalue As Integer
sKeyName = "Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Access\InstallRoot" 'For Access2000
'sKeyName = "Software\Microsoft\Office\8.0\Access\InstallRoot" 'For Access97
sValueName = "Path"
sDefaultUserProfile = QueryValue(sKeyName, sValueName)
GetName = sDefaultUserProfile
End Function

If Access it's not installed on the computer (int this case Access2000) I start the setup of Access 2000 runtime.

If You install the runtime everything will be OK.

There are some conflicts between A97 and A2000 runtime but this is documented on the Microsoft's site.

Remember the runtime install kitt must be in the spacified path!
Best regards,
Tibi

um,..... [/b][/i][/u][sub]*******************************************************
General remarks:

I have a few qrydef from dao and also run a maketable query from VB to access. For the reports I have 3 reports that is in the Report Object of access. They save to a snapshot and are viewed in VB snapshot viewer. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back