Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access '95 db with Access 2000 users

Status
Not open for further replies.

ump38

Programmer
Jul 17, 2001
US
Have a multi-user application with all but 2 of my 15 users using Access '95 on a database designed using Access '95. Application has been split into back-end database which houses all the tables with a front-end interface that links to the back-end tables.

Two of my users however are using Access 2000. As long as the front-end interface (an MDB file) is "opened" exclusively rather than converted by these 2, what other issues or concerns should I be considering or worrying about?

Besides the front-end .mdb file practically doubling in size when the Access 2000 users connect, any other "gotchas" lurking out there?

Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, the 2 Access 2000 users should only have read-only access if the db is to stay in 95 format.

I wouldn't recommend mixing client front ends at all. A lot depends on how the 'front' end has been designed. If the Acc2000 don't convert then they won't be able to make changes to the front end but that might be ok. The other thing is that you don't mention a workgroup file being used - without this with 15 Users you'll have problems when updating/adding records as each user will effectively have exclusive access. I would suggest that you install Acc95 run-time on the 2 Acc2000 client machines (this needs care and you'll probably need to re-install the Acc 2000 full licences after installing the Acc95 Runtimes). Can't give any more advice without knowing a lot more about how the system is supposed to work.

Cheers
Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back