Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2K VB Help not working properly 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jancheta

Programmer
Aug 30, 2002
US
Hi. My Visual Basic Help is not working properly. I can look up something fine, however, below say a certain topic, I do not see the links (like See Also Examples Applies To ). It was working fine before until I installed Visual Studio. I uninstalled Visual Sudio, removed MSO 2K and re-installed, but it didn't help. Seems something got corrupt in the registry?

Last remaining thing I can think of is re-formatting my HD... whew... you know how that is...

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Jason

Jason
I had a similar problem a while ago, after installing Windows XP. I finally found Article 249065 on the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

It covers how to install 5 missing Help files.

I have no idea whether or not installing Visual Studio creates a similar problem, but it's worth looking at before you take the ultimate plunge and reformat your hard drive.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your reply. MS website is currently screwed up a bit since I could see OFF2000: Error Message When You Try to Display Help on a Microsoft Windows XP-, Windows 2000- or Windows Me-Based Computer but their link is not available.

I think that VS manipulates IE somehow which affects MSO's help file. I've installed the latest service packs for IE 6 and it now works fine. Thanks again for your reply.

Jason

Jason
From your post, it appears that all is well now, but in case you were interested in the Knowledge Base article I saved it, and here is the text.
Tom
SYMPTOMS
Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 249065
When you try to start the Data Access Objects Help file in Microsoft Access, you may receive the following error message:
Microsoft Visual Basic

Microsoft Access cannot display help. An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now?
If you click Yes, the Microsoft Visual Basic Help window appears, but there are no Help topics in the Help window. If you click No, you receive the following error message:
Microsoft Visual Basic

Unable to display help.
CAUSE
This problem occurs because Microsoft Office 2000 installs the compressed HTML programming Help files for Microsoft Data Access (MDAC) 2.1, which covers ADO and DAO Help topics. Microsoft Windows 2000 and Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me), however, install MDAC 2.5, and Windows XP installs MDAC 2.7, but does not include the compressed HTML programming Help files.

After installing Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows Me and while installing Microsoft Office 2000, the system detects that MDAC has already been installed. Therefore, MDAC installation skips the installation of the compressed HTML programming Help files. When you press F1 in the Microsoft Visual Basic Environment to locate Help about an object, a property, or a method, you receive the error message that is mentioned in the "Symptoms" section.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem, obtain Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a).

To obtain SR-1/SR-1a, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
245025 OFF2000: How to Obtain and Install Microsoft Office 2000 Service Release 1/1a (SR-1/SR-1a)
IMPORTANT: Although you do not see the error message after you install Office 2000 SR-1, you must still copy Ado210.chm and Msjro.chm to the Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO folder. See the "Workaround" section of this article for more details. If these files are not copied to the appropriate folder, you may see an empty Help window.

NOTE: You may still experience this problem if you install Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 (SP1) before you install Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a. Under these circumstances, see the "Workaround" section of this article to correct this problem.
WORKAROUND
To work around this problem when you experience this error, copy the missing compressed HTML programming Help files (*.chm) from the Microsoft Office CD1 to the appropriate location. After you have copied the .chm file to the appropriate location, double-click the file to make sure that the file opens correctly.
File name Copy from Microsoft Office 2000 CD1 location To
Ado210.chm Pfiles\Common\System\Ado Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO
Dao360.chm Pfiles\Common\Msshared\Dao Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DAO
Jetdef40.chm Pfiles\Msoffice\Office\1033 Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033
Jetsql40.chm Pfiles\Msoffice\Office\1033 Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\1033
Msjro.chm Pfiles\Common\System\Ado Program Files\Common Files\System\ADO
STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article. This problem was corrected in Microsoft Office 2000 SR-1/SR-1a.
MORE INFORMATION
At least five compressed HTML Help files that are related to MDAC are not installed on Windows XP-, Windows 2000-, or Windows Me-based computers after you install Microsoft Office 2000. The files that do not appear on Windows XP-, Windows 2000-, or Windows Me-based computers after you install Microsoft Office 2000 include:
· Ado210.chm
· Msjro.chm
· Dao360.chm
· Jetdef40.chm
· Jetsql40.chm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back