Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2010 group by report want to have > hours header

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
Is there a way to have a group of hours greater than 50.
I have records for each day for each employee. I have a group by report that shows each name and the total hours on for that week.
Is there a way to have another group so that anyone over 50 hours will show up together somehow?
Like so
Fred Smith 44
Jamey Jones 34
Harbey karnes 40
------ over 50 -----
Cary Samules 55
James Kinter 51

DougP

Display the Group and Sort pane. Click Add a Group. At the bottom of the field list will be "expression". Choose expression and type Hours>50. The result will be two groups, one where Hours>50 is True, and one where it is False.

--Lilliabeth

I don't know what is "bottom of field list"

this is Access 2010.

DougP

When you click 'Add a Group', Access 2010 offers you a list of fields so you can choose a field to group by.

--Lilliabeth

Are the numbers you want to group by in the detail section or a group footer? I'm not sure how any of this could work since your total hours aren't in numeric order.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

dhookom, I put it in the header section, since I am grouping on the name which the persons lastname,firstname is the field [name] has and also a Sum of the hours Sum([F12]).
So the sort is by name when it shows on the report.
Jones, Jamey 34
Karnes, Herbey 40
Smith, Fred 44
I am typing in names this is not real data.
so just ignore the out of order, I was trying to show I wanted 50 in it's own section.

DougP

Are you saying your sample data only displays values calculated in a header section, isn't real data, and isn't in the order it should be in?
DougP said:
Fred Smith 44
Jamey Jones 34
Harbey karnes 40
------ over 50 -----
Cary Samules 55
James Kinter 51
If the records are sorted by "Name", then how do you expect to sort by a total in a header? Or is this what you want?

If I understand correctly, you want to first sort by a calculated total hours that isn't in your report's record source and then sort by name. If this is the case, you should create a total in the report's record source. You can then use this value to sort/group in your report.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back