Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2010 Ctrl + apostrophe shortcut help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueHorizon

Instructor
Jan 16, 2003
US
Good day and Happy Holidays!

I know about using the Ctrl + ' shortcut to copy from the field above.

So I am trying to use this shortcut in a field with an attachment data type to save me the trouble of attaching each letter separately when the same letter applies to several rows. The .pdf attachment in Row 1 opens great. But if I Ctrl + ' (or Ctrl + Shift + ') in the next row, I'm unable to open the .pdf attachment. I get an error message: Acrobat could not Open 'January 14, 2011.pdf' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged....."

Is there a keyboard shortcut that will allow for the .pdf file to be copied from row to row without having to go through the attachment process each time? There are thousands of rows....

Thanks in advance for any help,
BH

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Are there thousands of rows that get the same attachment? If that is the case that does not seem normalized. I would save the attachment once in a record in another table and link to that record. If each gets a unique version of the same record, could load the attachment through code? Even if only a button click, I sure would rather load them all by code.

Thank you MajP. Dozens of records get the same attachment - they don't all get the same one. So every 30-40 records have the same attached letter, then it changes for another 30-40 records. I'm afraid I'm code-ignorant and wouldn't know what to write or where to put it. I was hoping there was a different keyboard workaround.

I may be out of luck...

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

I have not played with copying the attachments with short cut keys, so I cannot answer. You still may consider normalize this, by putting your attachment into a table once. Then every record would link to the correct field in the attachment table. Although attachments are efficient, it is still going to take much more memory saving 1000s of attachments instead of 10s/100s. Then instead of copying you would just save the attachment ID for each record.

Is there then a way to view the document that is saved in the Attachments table on the table that it is linked to?

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Yes, but only through a sub datasheet. Normally we use forms for entering and viewing data. So if I had a continous form then I would have a button or a means to add an attachment to my attachment's table. Then in my mainform I would have a combobox to allow me to select an attachment ID. My mainform query would also be joined to the attachment table so that if I select an attachment ID you would have the attachment on the main form.

Thank you - from your suggestions, the lights went on. What will work is a form/subform to both tables.

Happy Holidays!

Best,
Blue Horizon [2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back