Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2007 Sort by Description

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pegasus51

Programmer
Apr 11, 2005
US
thread181-1661894

We just converted from Access 2003 to Access 2007. We keep track of our modification dates in the description field of objects in the form of yyyymmdd Developer Initials. In Access 2003 we could sort on description to see the most recent modified objects. I know there is a modification date, but we import our modified objects from a developer file to the production file, so the create and modified dates get updated with teh current date. Also, module dates get changed when we the database is opened.

We really need the ability to sort by description, has anyone figured out a way to sort the nav pane by description? Is Microsoft considering putting this feature back in Access 2007?

Thanks.

Do you have this 'description field' in a table?
If so, could you show us a few records and the order of how you would like to see them? Along with table name and the fiel name.

Have fun.

---- Andy

I don't think you understand. It is the Access object description property. In Access 2003, it was a column in the database window. In Access 2007, if you right-click on the object and choose 'View Properties' it displays the object type, create and modify dates, and a description box that you can edit. Access 2007 allows you to display it in the navigation pane, but you can't sort on it. In Access 2003, you could sort on it because it was a column.

I know I can query the Access system tables to get a list of the objects sorted by description, but I need it sorted by description in the navigation pane.

Thanks for the reply.

I do not know if that could be done, but you could roll your own form if you have to do this. You could load a form or listbox with the data. Loop through all objects, pull the description, and load into a table or multicolumn listbox. Put some code in to launch the object when clicked. Rough idea.
Code:
Public Sub testMod()
  Dim tdf As TableDef
  Dim prp As Property
  For Each tdf In CurrentDb.TableDefs
    For Each prp In tdf.Properties
      If prp.Name = "Description" Then
        'do something here
          Debug.Print tdf.Name & "  Description:" & prp.Value
      End If
    Next prp
    Next tdf