Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACCESS 2007 Junction Table issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

cicoa

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2001
I have been banging my brain out all week on this. I guess I haven’t had any access databases with this type of relationships before. Most of mine have just been two linked tables.
What I am trying to accomplish is setting up a database for a transportation voucher program, so we can eliminate the Excel spreadsheet the user is using.
So I need three basic tables: client info, orders, vouchers. They are called NEWFREEMAST, NEWFREEDET, NEWFREEVOUCH
Each client can have multiple orders, and each order can have multiple vouchers. So I assume there is a one to many relationship between NEWFREEMAST and NEWFREEDET (details being the many side)
And a many to many relationship between NEWFREEDET and NEWFREEVOUCH
So I set up a junction table.
Here is the design:

Client table NEWFREEMAST:
CLIID autonumber for the primary key.
Lastname
Firstname
M
Address1
Address2
City
Etc

Order details table NEWFREEDET:
DETID Autonumber as primary key
Order date
CLIID – to link to client table , number field
Number vouchers requested
Payment Amount, etc

Voucher table NEWFREEVOUCH
VOUCHID autonumber as primary key
Voucher #
DETID – to link to order table, number field
CLIID – to link to both tables. When I didn’'t include this field I got errors on
Date Voucher Redeemed, etc.

JUNCTION TABLE
DETID – Primary Key
VOUCHID – Primary Key
CLIID – Primary Key

Table Relationships:
Join lines go from:
newfreemast cliid to newfreedet cliid
newfreedet detid to junction detid
newfreevouch vouchid to junction vouchid

My problem seems to be the relationship between newfreedet and newfreevouch

I can enter the data on all three forms (I designed it using tabbed forms), but the voucher table does not link up to the orders table, so I could never run a report to get what vouchers are connected to what orders.

I have tried multiple setups using using multiple primary indexes for orders and vouchers, but this is my latest design because I at least don’t get any errors.
Can someone tell me where my design flaw is?

If a client can have many orders it is a one to many. If an order can have many vouchers it is another one to many. It would only be a many to many if a an order can have many vouchers and a voucher can be related to many orders. Can a voucher be related to multiple orders? If not it would simply be something like

tblClients
clientID

tblOrders
orderID
clientID_fK (foreign key)

tblVouchers
voucherID
orderID_fk

a query linking clientID to clientID_fk and orderID to

Thank you for your reply. What you suggest makes sense, and I tried setting it up this way again, which was what I did initially. But I still can't get the ORDID number from order table to go into ORDID number in voucher table, even through they are linked in the table relationships.
If I do a query linking the three tables I get no results.

It's working now. For some reason the data from the order and voucher forms were not flowing to the table. I fixed that and now it's working like it should. Thank you for your help, it got me on the right track!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back