Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2007 Importing .csv Text as Numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hakala

Technical User
Apr 26, 2006
US
Hi, Tek-Tippers! My Access 2007 database insists on importing text columns from a .csv import as numbers, causing much of my import to fail. I have tried creating a specification file but I'm only allowed fieldname and skip Y/N. I've never seen this limitation before. The table I'm importing to clearly has TEXT as the data type.

I cannot sort the .csv to put the alpha characters first because I have this issue with several columns; the one I sort imports fine and the other ones fail.

I read thread181-1492957 but didn't see anything in it that would help, and it's from 2008. Have there been any breakthroughs on this issue? Any assistance appreciated!

Michelle Hakala

but didn't see anything in it that would help
Really ?
What about the saved import specifications ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

There isn't a saved import spec and while trying to build one I am not allowed to add the data type. Only fieldname and skip Y/N are showing up. Adding this spec doesn't change the results - the columns are still importing as numbers.

Michelle Hakala

What are you using ?
TransferSpreadsheet or TransferText ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

I think this is similar to an issue I faced this morning. I created a temporary Access table that I imported into. This allowed me to create some fields as text that previously had been "guessed" to be numeric.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I am importing into an existing table and those fields are text. Could my old Access 2003 tables be the issue?

Michelle Hakala

And what about the import excel wizard ?

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Anyway, in my ac2017 db I can freely change the data type of any column during the import text wizard process.

Hope This Helps, PH.
FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back