Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2007 closes slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedgracer

Programmer
Mar 21, 2001
US
We have a big problem. We have installed Access 2007 on several machines and they are connecting to .mdb files (some users are still on access 2003; they will be upgraded). The problem is that it takes forever for a user to close an Access 2007 database when everyone is in the that database. I have googled this thing to death and found zero answers. This database consists of a series of linked tables to sql server 2005 and I have compacted and repaired it. The problem still exists. Has someone run into this situation and have an answer? Thanks.

Dave

it takes forever for a user to close an Access 2007 database when everyone is in the that database

The front end should be on each user's PC, the backend on a network. If you are trying to close a multi-user database on a network that is open on each user's PC, you will get this behavior.

Ni neart go cur le cheile.

Is the database not automatically compacting on closing of the front end? It is a 2007 setting.

Pampers [afro]
Keeping it simple can be complicated

I found the problem on my own. If you have a lot of users connecting to Access 2003 databases at the same time the amount of time Access 2007 takes to close that database is insane (depending on the size of the database and the amount of users using it it can take up to 30-40 seconds). The fix for this is as follows:

Go to Access Options - Popular - Creating Databases - Default File Format. Use the down arrow to select Access 2002-2003. Click OK.

This will allow the Access 2003 databases to close instantly. You will not be able to do this if you have a mix of 2007 and 2003 databases. You will have to convert all of the 2003 database to 2007 (not a bad idea). Just remember to have all the users put the default file format back to Access 2007.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back