Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2003 Run-Time tries to install again

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoggbottom59

Technical User
Jul 30, 2001
GB
Hello I've used the developer's extension to make two database packages to install on computers without Access using Access 2003 RT.

I'm having problems on a specific computer without Office 2003 or Access.

When I try to open the database it starts an .msi installer for the Run-Time but nothing then happens. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling without any success.

The only other thing that has happened to this particular computer is that I reinstalled Windows and recreated a new user.

Any ideas?

Leon.

It sounds like MDB files have become registered with the MSI for the runtime (or other setup program).

I would first try rerunning the Runtime installation package.

If that fails, you can change the registration manually.

In Explorer (windows explorer; for example, My computer) from the tools menu select Folder Options. On the file types tab find .mdb. Click the cahnge button and select the runtime application from the list. If it is not there you will have to browse to the executable. Finally, click ok.

Unfortuantely I don't know the name or path of the executable but if you need it I bet Google could find it. Also the runtime may bein the folder you specified in the deployment wizard.

Thanks, I'll take a look into this.

This has made me wonder as well about some other computers that try to install when a particular filetype is double-clicked.

Leon.

I tried removing all other Access related filetypes and reinstalling.

I still get the same problem.

I'll post the solution when I find it.

L.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back