Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2002 DB Corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

buena

Programmer
Oct 17, 2001
US
I have a access 2002 database stored on a Windows NT server.
Tt is being shared between 5-10 users runing Windows 2000.

We are having constant problems with the database getting corrupted.
Then a message comes up saying that "the database needs to be repaired".

How can this be resolved?

Does it fix it if you repair the database (Tools -> Database Utilities -> Compact and Repair database)?

John

That fixes the problem temporarily, but as soon as everyone starts using it again the same error occurs.

My group also is fighting this problem using Access 2000 on a network with Windows 2000. We never had the problem with NT 4.0 (used it for 4 years) but is a real problem with Windows 2000, started almost the day we converted. Many times someone using Access has a PC problem that causes an illegal shut down or an uncontrolled exit to Access and this sets a flag that the data in the tables might be corrupt. They usually never are, but you have to compact and repair the database to reset that flag.

We have had many network problems that affect our 'link' the the server where Access is stored, thus causing the corrupt message. Many times when our db's go corrupt, we can associate the problem to a network error/problem, illegal shutdown, etc. Try to see if there is one particular PC that is having hardware problems on other applications that is causing that person to just do a warm boot on his/her PC without exiting ACCESS first.
Or if it happens at a certain time of the day.
Also, if you're using linked tables, try putting the application itself on each person's individual drive - not a shared folder. That way, if one goes corrupt, the others won't be affected. It might also help point to the PC that might be having hardward problems affecting Access. (Assuming of course, that is not the table database that is going corrupt.

Good luck.

I really need more information on these problems, as I am experiencing very ugly error messages that never ever appear in a stand-alone mode. Specifically, I'm getting 3420's, 2465's, 2427's, and other assorted stuff. The client is screaming (well, just raising her voice a little) about why should we be having problems when other Access programs don't have the problem? Well, I _could_ say what I think, but I'm really looking for hard facts.

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

John Harkins

Another very important item regarding corrupt tables I forgot to mention in my previous reply: when you compact and repair the database, never copy the repaired version back into the production location until the associated .ldb file is deleted. Do this: when it goes corrupt, get everyone to log off that Access db, move the corrupt version to another folder, delete the .ldb file associated with the corrupt db, compact and repair the corrupt db then copy it back to the production folder. Very important that you delete the .ldb file, and you cannot do this until everyone is logged off the db. If you're not doing this, it might be the reason they go corrupt right after your users start using it again. Note: if everyone is logged of the database but you still get a 'Sharing Violation' error message when you try to delete the .ldb file, everyone who was logged into the db must do a warm boot on their computer, then log back on to the network (not Acces, yet). Once everyone is logged back on, you will be able to delete the .ldb file.
Let us know how this works out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back