Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 with VB 6.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

glipuma

Technical User
Apr 23, 2001
US
Hi - I'm trying to access an Access 2000 db through VB 6.0. I keep getting the error "Unrecognized database format". Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks!

sorry my good man but you have to convert your database to its previous version before you can access it..unfortunately

Casiuss:
I don't believe that is true. I'll have to check into that to be sure, but I believe you can use Access2k with vb6.

There should be no problems programming VB6 with Access2K.

Suggestions...
1. Check to make sure you can open the database first.
2. Do a repair and compact on the database.

If the problem is because it was converted from an Access 97 version, then I would check the MS Knowledge Base for more information on this.

Are you using ADO to access the database? If so, what is your connection string?

Gary
gwinn7

Hi,

It is absolutely possible to implement VB6 with Access2000. There is no converting back required regardless of how the Access2000 db was made from 97 or 95. You can either use DAO 3.6 or ADO. Be sure to have the references checked in your Access database. If you don't have mdac 2.5 or 2.6 installed you can get it from MSN.

Have a good one!
BK

Hi - thanks, but I guess I don't know much about this. What's mdac 2.5 or 2.6 and how do i implement it?

You can also check out the Microsoft Download area at microsoft.com and do a search for "MDAC".

MDAC essentially provides the ADO interface and components and more.

You may already have this on your machine and not even know it. There is also a program you can download from Microsoft that checks for the existence and status of your MDAC installation. That could be helpful to you as well.

Gary
gwinn7

gwinn7 - I know you asked what my string was with the ADO... here it is:

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\vbproject\EmployeeDB.mdb;Persist Security Info=False

Without checking my references, it looks okay to me. Can you open the database directly and view its contents?

Gary
gwinn7

ok, here's the thing. the ADO connection works great, but the problem is i'm doing this project for a prof. to teach a class and it has to be a DAO connection. is there just no way to get a DAO to work with access 2000?

DAO should work just fine. Check your 'References' and place a check mark on it. To access the 'References', click 'Tools' on your menu bar.

Gary
gwinn7

in access or vb? i didn't see references in either

Glipuma,

In Access2000, open a module and then go to Tools-References from the Menubar.

For Access2000 DAO these should be your references:

Visual Basic for Applications
Microsoft Access 9.0 Object Library
OLE Automation
Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object Library
Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications Extensibility 5.3

If there are references to set in VB 6.0 then someone else will have to answer that part.

HTH

Dave

By setting permissions with User and password in Access can
I modify this connection string to send the ID and password with VB.

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\WINDOWS\Desktop\vbproject\EmployeeDB.mdb;Persist Security Info=False

Hi Glipuma,

This is further to Mr.Dave's answer, for ACCESS 2000 u have the reference, for VB 6.0 do the following

Open the VB IDE and select reference from Project Menu, and check mark the list which Mr. Dave mentioned.

hope this will help u

best
shyam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back