Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 Size limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

hojoho

Technical User
Mar 8, 2003
US
How large can an access db be. I am developing an application that may need around 5,000 users entered in. I would like to use SQL server but I am not familiar with it so I am sort of stuck with Access unless someone know a good free site that has a good tutorial or SQL SERVER. Also I have read somewhere that Access can not handle more than 30 simitanious connections, is that true.
Thanks

if you understand SQL then SQL Server is not much different...just a little change in the syntax....depends on what features you need (stored procedures, granularity(who can do what to which table) stability etc)

You say you need about 5000 users...are they all going to connect at the same time? That is a pretty heavy server load. Access can handle about 30-50 simultaneous connections...if you manged the code well you may be able to handle the load...no persistant DB connections and only opening the conns for the briefest time needed to run the SQL code and get the result.

The traffic is going to be the major issue...

Bastien

There are many ways to skin this cat,
but it still tastes like chicken

I may have misled you but I will not have 5,000 users connecting, just 5,000 entries in the DB. Just asking if ACCESS can handle this large of a DB. I just want to know how many entries an ACCESS DB can handle, if it 5,000, 10,000, etc. As far as SQL Server goes, I will not have any stored procedures, and it will be something simple. All SQL statements will be dynamically created form web pages, but i do not even know how to create a table in SQL Server nor do I know how to connect to it through ASP.
Thanks

Access can handle that no problem...and if you can work the interface in Access, SQL Server is not much different...and if you can connect to Access through ASP, SS is the same...create the DSN or not, as you choose and just point to the DB...it is no different for connecting to any DB really.

One hint may to create some indexes in the Db to maker searching a little faster...

hth
Bastien

There are many ways to skin this cat,
but it still tastes like chicken

Yes, Access it is so handy for small database environments. From reading your scenarios it would be fine. As long as below 1 Gb it would be fine and that would lots of records. Try to keep it below that also does some regular maintenance.
1.Back up your db regularly.
2.Compact and repair db once a month depends on the growth.
3.Create the db in Access 2000.
4.There is also a tool called Analyze that would help you to see the performances of all objects.
If you need further clarifications let me know.
Thanks

Dr. Sql
vpathisseril@yahoo.com

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back