Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 - Simple AR or POS system

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynnvictoria

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2001
US
Is there anyone who would help me? I have a db in place with about 2300 records. These contacts attend events, I want to set up a simple AR system, charging for event items, and recording payments, and adjustments. I have previously handled this in Excel, pretty tidily by setting up an accounting spreadsheet using Select Case statements to handle my GL accounts. But the contact data entry seems to me to be a waste of time, given it is just sitting over there in the db!

Please someone I have looked for days!Regards
Victoria

Do you want to drag the info into Excel spreadsheet or do you want to do away with the speadsheet and do it all in Access?

I would prefer to do it in Access, but haven't found a source of good guidance. I am willing (grudgingly) to link the Excel and Access if possible... at this point I am unsure how to proceed.

Access is my preference.

Good idea to keep it all within one system. Access would be my preference as well - mainly because I know next to nothing about Excel!
You should spent a little time with pencil and paper deciding what objects are relevant to your needs eg Contact, Event, Payment and so on and look at how they interact - I can't emphasize enough how important the design aspect is. A well-designed DB will save you a lot of headaches later. Having said that, you should treat your design as a draft and not cast in stone as you may well discover as you start actually coding up the DB that certain things need changing for one reason or another.
Why not, as a first step, put up another posting on this forum and ask if anyone has a DB that does what you want that they would be willing to let you have a copy of? I don't I'm afraid but there are many willing and generous souls out there.
You might also want to take a look at some of the sample DBs that Microsoft supply with Access to see if any of them suit your needs - you'll probably need to tinker with them a bit to get exactly what you want but it's a possibility.
Failing that, you'll have to become an Access adept and design and code it all yourself - not as daunting as it sounds.
If you get stuck just drop me a line.
Raymondo
ray@rossar.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back