Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access 2000 runtime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decker

Technical User
Dec 29, 2002
US
i have a database which is created with access2000; now, i want it compile and can be self executable. can anyone tell me what do i need to purchase and where can i get it?

i have office pro and resource kit. thanks for the help

get the developers version...from your title I think you want to just make it run time.

I Will tell you it is not that easy. Yes, You need the developers edition... that purchase is the easy part.

There is something clearly missing in documentation and microsoft.com

After many hours we have not been able to make it an executable. The best runtime we could do, the compile program add a version of Access 2000 to each computer. We didnt think that was very smooth.

I hope someone will be able to explain how to make an .exe.

Ken

I was too very excited when I saw runtime on the box of the access developper edition. also after searching for more information on how to make an exe file I didn't succeed. Then I got some information that there was a release which would made it really possible to make an exe but ....
Anyway still hoping that ms will solve this problem and if anyone succeeds in making a working exe file I'll pay his airline ticket and he's invited to show me how

I'd be interested if anyone could tell me what you're supposed to get with this runtime thing. Do you get all the access functionality but are only allowed to connect to the one database or what? For example, could you design a new form using a run time version?

Sure, it'd be cool if we didnt have to have dozens of installations of access out there, but I'd like to know exactly what you get (and it sounds flaky anyway)

My experience is with Access 97, but I think 2000 is the same.

The developer's edition gives you the Setup Wizard, which allows you to distribute the run time version of Access with your application.

I've never tried, but I don't think you can do any design work with the runtime version, but it does work well for most users.

In 97, the Set Up Wizard will let you set up distribution disks on floppies, but I've heard with 2000 you have to use a CD.

I think if you want to make an exe file, you may have to create it in visual basic. Visual Basic is able to work with Access databases.

If you buy Mastering Access 2000 Development by Alison Balter (SAMS Publishing - ISBN 0-672-31484-3), and Office 2000 Developer, you'll be well on your way to making a fully-working, distributable, Access Runtime app.

The book has a specific chapter on using the Package & Deployment Wizard, and takes you through the steps to Split your db into the back-end and front-end. She even provides a fully-working 'table re-linking' routine (so that when the path to the back-end is not the same as your own machine, it will look for the back-end, and if it can't find it, it allows you to browse to the back-end, and then it re-links all the tables for you - okay, a little fiddling is required but not much).

It's a wonderful book and would recommend it to everyone, no other book I have read has gone into so much depth concerning deployment. Buy it, now!

Ive been trying to figure out the many different versions of Office 2000. No where can I seem to find which version would give you the same runtime distribution capabilities as the Office97 developers edition.

Does anyone actually know the differences in the many different "versions" of Office2000?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back