Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 record conflict question

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdono

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
US
I have a small database which will only be shared by a couple of users. It will be a very rare case when two users will be editing the same record at the same time. However, I tested the situation anyway. The default access box has an option to save user one changes and disregard user 2 changes.

Access corrupts the current record when this option is selected. I have have to re-import the item from a backup. I have implemted an on error handler to trap for this situation and trained the users to always select the drop change option.

I am curious if anyone else has had this error occured. All the access books I have state Access 2000 should just disregard user 2 and go with the user one edits and not corrupt the record.

Thanks!

Hi,
Have you set the database options to allow locking of the edited record only?

You can do this by clicking on Tools, Options, Advanced tab. Under "Default Record Locking", set the option button to "Edited Record". The "Default Open Mode" should be "Shared", and "Open databases using record-level locking" should be checked. HTH,
Randy Smith
California Teachers Association

I did try this in the testing process. I noticed if one user tried to type when the other user was just leaving the record, the item would become corrupt. I think it has to do with the compay running a older release of Access 2000.

Thanks for your response

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back