Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 - Locked Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyeag

Technical User
Mar 23, 2001
GB
After installing Access 2000 I cannot get in. It asks me for a password just to log on to the programme. All valid passwords I have used on previous versions and other databases come up as invalid. Null string is also invalid.

It gets into a circular thing were after I cancel it tells me the help function is broke and asks if I want it repaired. If I say yes it spends 10 minutes reconfiguring, reinstalling only to come up with same thing.

I have tried re-installing Access. I have tried taking Access off but Windows ME keeps rebuilding it.

All this happened after I posted myself a copy of a password protected database in Access 97, unzipped that and tried to open it using the valid password.

On my menu, in Access, all my administrator tools are greyed out and reinstallation does not reinstall them.

Any ideas?

If I knew the module responsible for security I could get into that (perhaps) and amend the visual basic.

I dont know if this will help but maybe you can look into your MS Access Workgroups Administrator and make sure that it is defaulted back to your system one and not the password protected on of the other you opened. It should probably be a system.mdw file showing .. if different just join back into the system workgroup.

Hello jofarrel,

The MS Access Workgroups Admin you mention, is that in MS Access>Tools>Security or a different program?

Hi Gary, If you can find the original Mdw (workgroup file) that was used when the database was used in 97, you could try to convert it to a 2000 Mdw. It could have been your System.Mdw but really should have been copied/renamed to something else, as the system.Mdw should always be left alone.

Easy option: If the security was lacking, make a fresh Db while using the default 2000 System.Mdw Try to import all your stuff in to it, either from the 97 version or the 2000 copy. I have a lot of experience with this type of headache (learned the hard way sorry to say) so write back if you get stuck! :) Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back