Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 dtabase

Status
Not open for further replies.

StressedTechie

Technical User
Jul 13, 2001
GB
I am running a database on a variety of Operating systems ranging from 9x machines to Windows 2000. However the Windows 2000 machines appear to be responsible for a number of locks which renders the database inoperable and needs to be repaired. This as you can imagine is getting irritating and requires repairing at least twice a day.

Does anyone know as to any reasons why the Windows 98 machines work but the Windows 2000 machines are causing the problems.

The database is an Access 2000 database.

Have you loaded the latest jet service pack? I believe it is 4.0.

Thanks R111ufus I have checked that and we are running Jet service pack 4 and it appears that we are.

The error we get is as follows

Run time error :3343
Description: unrecognized database format
Object: DAO.Database
Version: 2002.1.11
Procedure:refeshsource
Last Dll Error: 0

I then have to repair the database.

This always seems to originate from a Windows 2000 machine not one of our win 9x machines

Any ideas

Check your register. Your problem appears to be that Access is attempting to access the database with Jet 3.51. You may have both versions registered with 3.51 being the first which will prevent 4 from being utilized.

mac

Ouch!!! My friend, if you are not familiar with the register, don't mess with it. Get someone you trust to be experienced with the register to check it for you. Your symptoms do point to the register. Sorry, I can't be of more help; however, you can create havoc with the register so don't do it!

mac

Hi guys thanks for the advice

This is really gettingdesperate now as the support company is drawing blanks as well. They are going down the Network infrastructure problems route.

Its driving me mad!

TechnicalUser, if everything else works and you're only having problems with a couple of your Access databases, the chances are that it is an Access problem. Again, I suggest that you have someone check the register on those systems having problems. If it is a network problem, then other programs should experience difficulties, as well as , Access.

mac

BUNYIP

I'm not sure if it the problem you are having but it is worth checking, as I have had a similar problem when sharing access databases over an NT network. As you will know Windows NT and Windows 2000 can use shared folder and NTFS permissions. If the database is located on a share with read only permissions the users can open the database, once open a lock file *.ldb is created which prevents other users from adding records at the same time. Once the user closed the database the lock file should be deleted by access and other users can open it. If the user only has read permissions to the folder the lock file cannot be deleted and the database remains locked. I would think about checking the folder permissions on the Windows 2000 machines as the folder in which your database resides may be read only. The Windows 98 Machines don't have NTFS permissions so this can't happen.

Just a thought

Gedd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back