Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ACCESS 2000 DEMO DEPLOYMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice24

Technical User
Jun 20, 2001
US
Anyone,

Have developed an ACCESS 2000 Application with Office 2000 Developer. Used the Package and Deployment Wizard and successfully created an Installation Setup File which utilizes the /runtime command. Everything seems fine.

BUT

Is there any way to create a demo CD of the Application(either .mdb or .mde) which also utilizes the /runtime command to open the Application on the disc for introduction or demonstration purposes.

I.E. I want to send out a demo and don't want to entangle the user in timely or space consuming installation procedures.

The only solution I can think of is point the Installation CD to another CD drive and try to load it as a stand alone on the second CD. Is this Possible? How?

thanks in advance
Novice24

I think the likely success of this will be goverened by any custom dlls you use. If you are using any ActiveX objects which are not completely standard to the users environment, then the install program will need to be executed in order to register these OCX files.

Also, by demo do you me trial version?
If so, how can a user test a db app if the db is read-only?

James Goodman

jgoodman,

Thanks for the input. Also, you are right on the money about the read only portion (I had to turn off all the write,append, and update functions). This degrades the app but does provide a first glimse to potentials.

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back