Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 database has slow performance on Windows XP OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccessUser22

Technical User
Jan 23, 2003
US
We have a split Access 2000 database, who's front end is connected to two seperate Access 2000 back ends (i.e., half the tables are in one database, half are in another) stored on the server. We have no performance issues when setting this up on a machine that uses the Windows 2000 operating system. However, we have installed the application on two or three machines using Windows XP and all of these machines have demonstrated a considerable slowdown in performance. For example, a form that used to open in 3 seconds, now takes 30, or if someone else is accessing the same form, the form takes a full minute to open. I'm wondering if this is truely an operating system issue, or if anyone else has experienced similar problems like this. Does anyone know of any information that's available on the issue or have any ideas how I can solve this? I've been searching on the microsoft.com website and haven't been able to find information yet.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Does your XP machines have SP1 on them?

We had some machines installed without SP1, when I put the SP on, it speeded things up considerably.

Just a thought.

Yes, that is something I will look for. I did discover yesterday that one of the Windows 2000 machines was running with a network connection speed of 100 mbps. All of the other machines I've tested on were at 10.0 mbps. If the machines are all adjusted to 100, I'm hoping that would improve things. However, it still wouldn't explain why the XP machines are running slower at 10 vs. the 2000 machines that are running acceptable at 10.

To see if it is a network problem, copy both the front end and back end to the same computer (in this case the xp computers), link the tables and then see if it still slow.
You might also want to make sure that the split in one database only contains tables (no forms, queries, etc.). Leave the forms, queries, reports, modules, etc. in the front end. Another thing that slows performance is the amount of combo/list boxes that are on forms. Hope this helps.

jbehrne

If at first you don't succeed, call in an airstrike. - Murphy's Laws of Combat Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back