Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access 2000 - CRASH

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCerven

Technical User
Feb 24, 2000
US
Hello everyone!

I have a database created in access 2000 on a network that crashed for no apparent reason. A user was entering data and all the fields flashed error and we were unable to repair it. I have found that the ldb file is stuck open even when the users are logged out. We have not been able to open it at all. Does anyone know anything about this sort of problem?

Why? Could be a million things. Fix: Kick everyone out for sure meaning they may all have to shutdown. Make a copy of the Db and move it off to another computer for safety. Delete the ldb file if you can. Gord
ghubbell@total.net

We tried that. Had everyone log off and the ldb name was changed. I still can't get the db open to copy or transfere the tables.

Make sure everyone has really shutdown. Delete the ldb file, don't rename it. (It gets rebuilt everytime you start anyway). Shutdown the server & restart if you can.
Anyone? Anyone? Gord
ghubbell@total.net

Do you have backup? If yes, restore it. You can try scandisk disk. Sometime, try scan virus will help. But the simple way is to restore it from backup.

TCervan:

Have you tried this - create a new blank database with a slightly different name. Under file, select "Get External Data", and then "Import". You should be able to import all of your tables, forms, reports...etc.

Once you get everything back to normal, you can backup your corrupt database, delete it from the server, then rename the new database to the original name.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ken Hood

Thanks a bunch!

I had everyone shut down their computers. I had the server rebooted and I ran norton antivirus. I have not tried to delete the ldb file yet. I will do that. I also opened a new database and tried to get data and when I point it to the corrupted database it prompts me with the same error message and will not give me the tables to import. Do you think if I try to convert the database into a different format that will work? Unfortunately, I was told by our "IT EXPERT" that my file were being backed up on the server. When my database failed I called him to restore it and guess what.... oops he forgot to check the logs and found that my data was never backed up. Fortunately I was keeping a backup copy from before we had the server so I am able to recover some of my files but I will lose at least a months worth of data. ug!

TCervan:

What exactly is the error message?

Ken Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back